Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Salsa

Lately everything has sounded unappetizing. I decided on making homemade salsa. When we were visiting my parents they had this great jar from someone my dad knows. Unfortunately he wouldn't give me the recipe because he sells it but I did get the ingredients and have been experimenting. For some reason I thought salsa took forever to make because you would have to dice everything. But with canned ingredients and a chopper it is so simple. I think I have found what works, but as always you can make substitutions and changes.
1 large can of petite diced tomatoes (He said Dole but I think I used Hunt's or Del Monte. I don't think it matters much)
1/2 white onion
3-4 cloves of garlic
about 1/4 C pickled jalapenos
1/2 a bunch of cilantro
1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
fresh cracked pepper
1 lime

1. Drain tomatoes. This reduces the amount of liquid and you can see if there are any funky pieces of tomato.
2. Chop up the garlic and onion and add to tomatoes.
3. Chop cilantro (I find my chopper doesn't work well on this. So I just use a large knife and it doesn't take long) and add to mix with garlic salt.
4. Chop jalapenos (you might want to start off with less just until you get the right amount of heat for you) and add
5. Add the pepper (a few turns of the pepper mill) and the juice of a lime. (If you had the bottled kind just eye ball it)
Like I said so simple and only takes a few minutes! And I could eat it all day.

No comments: