Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Zesty Italian Crescent Casserole


I found this recipe online and was excited to try it. It's from Pillsbury and I of course had to change it a little bit. We loved it and will be making one of our favorite dinner recipes.
Here is the original recipe:

1lb. lean ground beef
1/4cup chopped onion
1cup tomato pasta sauce
6oz. (1 1/2 cups) shredded mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese
1/2cup sour cream
1(8-oz.) can Pillsbury® Recipe Creations (Or Crescent Dinner Rolls)
1/3cup grated Parmesan cheese
2tablespoons butter, melted

Heat oven to 375°F. In large skillet, cook ground beef and onion over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Drain. Stir in pasta sauce; cook until thoroughly heated.

Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine mozzarella cheese and sour cream; mix well.

Pour hot beef mixture into ungreased 9 1/2 or 10-inch glass deep-dish pie pan or 11x7-inch (2-quart) glass baking dish. Spoon cheese mixture over beef mixture.

Unroll dough over cheese mixture. In small bowl, mix Parmesan cheese and butter. Spread evenly over dough.

Bake at 375°F. for 18 to 25 minutes or until deep golden brown.


First the change I made was I used chicken instead of beef. Beef just kind of creeps me out in general, and I really don't care for it while I'm pregnant. I absolutely loved it with the chicken. I also omitted the fresh onion for the chopped dehydrated onion. It is harder for the kids, and Travis, to detect and pick out. :) I also probably added an extra 1/4 - 1/3 C sauce. In the summer or for those who are wanting a meat free meal I think sauteed eggplant, squash, zucchini, and portabella mushrooms would be FANTASTIC.
With the parmesan cheese mixture, make sure it is even otherwise it cooks unevenly. I also had to let mine cook for almost 30 minutes and cover the edges to keep from browning too much.
And the picture shows that they used the crescent rolls and placed them in slices. I just unrolled mine and then made it like a pie crust for the top. Which ever way floats your boat you could use.

No comments: