Monday, February 23, 2009

Cake Bites


I've seen these little treats floating around the internet. I don't know if it is like a mormon thing that's new or if it is just a new fad dessert. So I decided to try them today and I LOVE THEM! They are super simple and easy to make...just a little messy.
There were two different ways I've seen to make these and I mixed them both to what I thought would work best.

Cake Bites
1 Can of frosting
1 Cake (made)
Almond Bark
sprinkles (optional)

1. Let the cake cool 15 minutes after it comes out of the oven. Then take a fork and crumble the cake. It goes fairly quickly with the cake still being hot.
2. Place cake crumbs in a large bowl and add the frosting. Mix it all together. The heat helps melt the frosting so it can get mixed easier.
3. Place in the fridge for an hour or so until cool.
4. Roll into one inch (or so) balls and place in the freezer. I lined a cookie sheet with wax paper and they all fit on the sheet and into the freezer. Leave in the freezer for about 30-45 minutes.
5.Take out of the freezer. Chop up the Almond bark and melt in the microwave.
6. Roll the balls in the chocolate and place on wax paper. Top with sprinkles if you want.

When using the Almond Bark, I usually shred 3 squares and put in a bowl. It takes about a minute for the bark to melt. If you over heat it, it gets clumpy and just doesn't work. So just heat it slowly and stir it.

I used a strawberry cake mix and white frosting, to go with the Valentine/February theme. But you can use whatever cake mix and frosting combo you want.

1 comment:

Emma said...

bakerella.com, that's where i first found them!! she makes all sorts of fun ones- different ideas and stuff... and they are SO good aren't they?!