Sunday, February 1, 2009

Corn Sausage Chowder

I got this recipe from American Baby in February 2006. We absolutely love it. The girls however, not so much. But they have turned into quiet the picky eaters, not eating any potato unless its a french fry.
Corn Sausage Chowder
1 lb pork sausage
1 C chopped onion
3 C 1/2 inch pieces of red potatoes (unpeeled)
2 C water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano or majoram chrushed
1/8 tsp black pepper
One 15 1/4 oz can of corn drained
one 14 3/4 oz cream corn undrained
12 oz can of evaporated milk

1. Cook sausage and onion until sausage is browned and cooked. Drain well
2. Add sausage, potatoes, water, all spices and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
3. Stir in corns, and milk. Cook and stir until heated through.

I usually double the water and potato in this. You can use a little less water but I really like potatoes in the soup. You could double the corn as well but I find it's fine with just doubling the spice, water and potatoes. (And of course you don't have to use red potatoes, just use what you have)
Last night I used a mild italian sausage and both Travis and I really liked it. So there is another variation.
And the recipe also says that this is a great dutch oven recipe. I'm not a big dutch oven person , so I've never tried it.

No comments: