Monday, April 20, 2009

Honey wheat bread

I got this recipe a few weeks ago and have been meaning to try it. I finally did last night and it turned out great! I think this will be my new staple bread recipe.
Honey Wheat Bread
1 C water
1/4 C honey
1/4 C butter

Melt butter in water and honey on stove. You want this mixture to be between 110-120 degrees. While its cooling mix the following ingredients:
1 3/4 C Wheat flour
1 C White flour
1/3 C Oats
1 tsp Salt
2 1/4 tsp Yeast

Add liquid ingredients and stir briefly. Then add 1 egg slightly beaten.

Knead by hand or in a mixer for 5 minutes until smooth (more flour can be added if needed). Let rise in a bowl, covered by dish towel, until doubled. Punch down and shape into a log. Place in a greased loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled. bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

I did about 1 1/2 C wheat and 1 1/4 or so of the white flour. perfect!

1 comment:

suzanne said...

I have been looking for a good honey wheat bread recipe for a long time. I think I will try this one it looks really good.