Friday, October 30, 2009

Pork Barbacoa

for today here is a recipe for Cafe Rio's Pork Barbacoa. I shared it with a friend and so I am going to just copy and paste what I wrote in the email to her. Here is the link for the recipe
And here is what I did:
I did a few things different like cooking the pork for 10 hours initially in water not 12. My roast was also only like 4 pounds too. Then as I was draining off the water the meat shredded it's self and I just went ahead and took off all the fat at that point, before I let it cook for 6 hours with the sauce. (You'll see what I mean after the recipe) I used Dr. Pepper for the sauce and all I had was a 2 liter, which when I measured it out was 2 1/2 cups (just in case you have a 2 litter too). And instead of 3/4 C white sugar I did a heaping 1/3 C. And instead of hot taco sauce I did mild for the kids and not knowing how spicy it would be.
And for the dressing I just did the ranch packet, 1 c mayo, 1 cup milk with 1 T lime juice (since I didn't feel like getting buttermilk), and then a cup of medium salsa verde (the green stuff) since it is made of cilantro and tamatillos.
I kinda went crazy and cooked up a whole bunch of food for the meal. I also did the 5 minute rice but cooked it in chicken stock, 1 clove minced garlic, 1 teaspoon cumin and a few shakes of chili powder. And then I made mashed black beans. Which is 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 c chicken stock, 1 can drained black beans, 1 teapsoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1 clove minced garlic. Just put all that in a pot and bring to a boil then take a spoon and smash up some of the beans so that it will thicken the sauce. After setting for a few minutes it should be similar to refried beans. I hope that made sense.
We then just filled our plates with some Romaine and spinach and topped it with the pork, rice, beans, dressing, and some cheese (monterrey jack or pepper jack is the best). It is now Travis's favorite meal. It kinda sounds overwhelming when you look at the recipes, but most of the cooking is in the crockpot and it isn't bad at all.

No comments: